September 6, 2011

Wiggle Seats to the Rescue!

I'm so excited about my little "find" this weekend...WIGGLE SEATS! As I may have mentioned in previous posts, I have a VERY active class.  Out of the 18 wonderful kiddos in my room, I seriously believe I have 10 that struggle with impulsivity, focus, and attention. (Okay, I'm diagnosing 2 of them, but the rest are legit.)

One student last week went most of the morning unaware that he didn't have a chair. He was just standing and working. Another one is constantly balancing on the back leg (yes, singular) of his chair. Yes, he has fallen.  Yes, I remind him constantly to put his chair down. And, yes, he continues to do it.  Another one rocks in his chair.  While another one has been spotted actually draping her body over the chair.  Did I mention these are 4th graders?

So...wiggle seats  to the rescue! 
The texture is different on each side, so the kid can choose what is more comfortable to them.
Here's a close up. It may look a bit strange, but I've tried them out and they are surprisingly comfortable.

I have seen these work in other classrooms, but I have never tried them myself.  Typically they are reserved for special education students, so my "special" ones don't technically qualify.  Basically, the wiggle cushions are full of air and allow the students to shift and rock.  It's almost like being on a water bed (remember those?).  The cushion naturally allows for students to move, and gives their motor cortex something to focus on and helps satisfy that need to fidget and move.  It is basically like a stability ball, but I like these a bit better because they go on the student's chair and are less of a distraction.  Plus, I don't have to worry about storing the stability balls at the end of the day for the custodians. 

Amazon.com sells these little beauties for $13 each.  You order through Amazon from a company called Isokinetics. They come in all different colors and have good reviews.  I ordered three blue ones and I can't wait for them to arrive.  If they work for a few kids I will consider it success!!


4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these before! Keep us uppdated on how they work out!

    Marisa

    iDream.iPlan.iTeach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had students as well as my own son use these over the past 4 years...we love them! We call them squishy seats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to know how these worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled upon this in a search for flexible seating in the cafeteria. How have "Wiggle Seats" been working for the last several years?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts!